Monday, April 20, 2009

Thanks Bill

Utah lost a great leader and statesman last Saturday. Sadly former Congressman Bill Orton was killed in an ATV accident.

I first met Representative Orton when I was a senior in high school. I was visiting Washington DC with the National Youth Leadership Conference (NYLC). The Congressman was kind enough to visit with three not-yet-able-to-vote high school kids who didn't even live in his district at the time. When his staff informed him he had a vote he suggested we walk over to the Capitol with him.

I remember walking through the tunnels from his office to the Capitol and him stopping to show us some of the pieces of artwork submited from students across the country. He seemed particularly proud of the Utah entries. We stood outside the House Chambers in awe as we watched the various members of Congress walk through security to vote.

When we returned to his office he took a polariod (remember those?) with each us individually and encouraged us to consider doing an internship in DC during our college careers. I remember him as being friendly, kind, sincere, and intelligent.

That hour or so he spent with three kids from Utah left a big impression on me. I did do an internship as a graduate student on Capitol Hill and often thought of my experience with Congressman Orton years later as I walked through those same tunnels as a congressional staffer.

Utah lost a good man on Saturday. In an era of the one-liners and eight second soundbites I wish our country more men like Bill Orton. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment