Friday, November 8, 2013

Whew!

I've posted a few things on the campaign facebook page and the Herald did a short follow-up article after the election, but I wanted to thank everyone again for their help and support and share a few post-campaign feelings. 

Losing (at this point by just 65 votes) is both disappointing and humbling.  Its nice to know that I had as much support as I did.  If you get blown out then it's pretty clear that people didn't particularly appreciate your message, but to lose by 65 is something in a way, if you have to lose, is something I think I can be proud of.

And kudos to Dave really.  I enjoyed getting to know him and sincerely feel he'll do well on the Council.  I have a lot of respect for Dave.  In the immediate days after the election I really didn't feel any animosity at all towards him or his campaign team.  They worked hard and so we did we.  

Some have said with the election as close as it was indicates that the city is divided somehow.  I don't think that's the case at all.  I like to think that people were impressed with both Dave and me as candidates and felt that either of us would serve Provo well.

The question I get asked the most is if I'm going to run again.  I tell people that it feels like I've just gone through child-birth, and to ask me so soon after the pain of a campaign, well I'm not particularly thrilled at the idea.  But I am keeping my signs for now and will make that decision in the far off future. 

In the meantime, I've really enjoyed talking about the issues, and want to be a part of the ongoing dialogue.  So I hope you'll check back on my blog for regular updates and posts. 

Lincoln (7) helping dad with a big sign
Finally, the last thing I want to say is how much I've enjoyed campaigning with my family!  I was gone a lot of evenings and Saturdays, but the most loyal and best, most hard-working campaign staffers I had were, Amy, Connor, Lincoln, Autumn, and even little Britton!  They can drop door-hangers in an entire precinct in three hours!  It really is impressive. 

The day before the election, Lincoln (our deep thinker) said; "Dad if you lose then we get to spend more time with you.  If you win, then we get to ride in the 4th of July Parade float." He then paused for a moment to think then said;  "I hope you win!" 

I wasn't quite sure what to make of that really...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment