Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Air Quality: Utah Gets an 'F'




I wanted to follow-up on my earlier convention post. If you remember I had asked Representative Keith Grover if there was anything we could do about the air quality in Utah County during the winter months. He said that because of our geography really the only thing we could do is to move.

I've really never been someone who's been really concerned on environmental issues. And I'm not talking about climate change and polar ice caps, but this one hits pretty close to home. Truth be told Republicans have differed to the Democrats on the environment for too long. I think conservatives should and must engage the other side on issues like this (see also ethics reform).

So, not being satisfied with being told "to move," I promised to dig a little deeper. I didn't have to look very hard - it's almost like the information came to me(!). In today's SLTrib there is a story about a report from the American Lung Association on the very topic.

And the report says....

Utah County
Particle Pollution: F
High Ozone: F

The Wasatch Front really gets pounded by pollution in the winter during short but intense periods of inversion. So during these times our area suffers from some of the worst air in the country.

Of the top 25 U.S. cities most polluted by short-term particle pollution three are in Utah.

1. Pittsburgh, PA
4. Los Angeles, CA
6. Salt Lake City, UT
8. Logan, UT
16. New York, NY
20. (tie) Philadelphia, PA/San Francisco, CA
22. Provo-Orem, UT

So What can be done? Again, I didn't have to look very far. I took a look at a local activist group - Utah Mom's for Clean Air. They had a lot of common sense suggestions - most of them centered around driving.

Now despite the communist conspiracy that is 'light rail' I think that will help make a difference when it is completed. I'd gladly trade my car and a dangerous drive on an icy road during winter for the safety of light rail. It'd be a safer commute and a healthier one.

In the end, I think it really comes down to personal responsiblity and each of us being aware and doing our part during those smoggy winter days.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting info. Thanks
    I have a question for ya. What do you think of Steven Diamond? Do you know anything about him? He is running for Utah County Republican Chair.
    Also, I have a friend named Candace E. Salima who is on facebook and twitter. She is a remarkable women. She is an author and public speaker heavily involved with politics and I love her post and info. You should add her to facebook. I know she is open to anyone adding her and joining her debates/causes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Steve ran a great race and seems like a great guy. He just got edged out by Taylor Olderoyd for Chair though.

    I totally know Candace! I'm Facebook friends but not yet following on Twitter (I think - I'll have to check). She is the best. She's very passionate about LDS and conservative causes. I worked with her often during my Cannon years and met her husband Alvin a couple of times as well. She's great. I don't trade emails as often with her as I used to, so if you see her please say hello!

    Thanks for reading my posts! You are one of the three who do...;) At least you are brave enough to comment too!

    ReplyDelete