Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Unity - A Page from Mayor Curtis' Book





Four years ago, then Mayoral candidate John Curtis called for greater unity in our city as part of his campaign platform.  I believe we’ve made important inroads in this area and I want to continue these efforts.

Campaigns often by their nature can be divisive.  I believe for the most part my opponent and I have each run issues-based campaigns.  We’ve had the occasional skirmish here and there but nothing substantive.  It has been an honor to run WITH Dave. And really, that’s the word – with - I’ve come to use more often than the term “against.” 


I really like our new city slogan; “Welcome Home.”  And just like in a home you have different members of a family with different opinions and desires.  The home has different rooms, features, a front yard, and a back yard. But all of those things make up that home.  I hope that I can be the type of representative that can recognize when certain areas of our home-city are being ignored.  Or that I can be the voice for a minority opinion that happens to be right, but may not be popular. 

In Provo we have many common values, beliefs, and characteristics that bring us together.  I hope that we can continue to build on these foundational pillars.  At the same time Provo is growing.  There is competition for resources, attention, and differences of opinion on the direction we take our city. 

Taken April 3, 2009 after a meeting in John's home.
I hope we can continue to have these discussions about these important issues in a respectable and constructive dialogue.  One of the things I’ve really come to admire about Mayor Curtis is that he really believes a good idea can come from anyone – regardless of party affiliation, area of the city, economic status, student, renter, homeowner, etc. 

I will take a page from the Mayor’s book.

As your next city-wide representative I will work to be more inclusive in giving all residents of our city a voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment