Thursday, June 4, 2009

Let Us Never Forget


I've always been interested in WWII history. Especially the events that happened on the beaches of Normandy on June 6th, 1944 - D-Day.

I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan as a college student. It was one of a few films that have ever really left a lasting impression on me. Particularly the opening sequence where the soldiers are landing on the beach. Many of them never made it out of the boats. Others jumped over the sides only to drown or be shot in the water.

I remember wondering how I might react in that sort of situation. Would I be a coward? Would I be a leader? Would I be afraid? Would I have survived?

Scary questions. Ones I'm grateful I've never had to answer thanks to the brave men and women who have worn the uniform and continue to do so today.

To them I say - Thank you!

Take a minute and view this really interesting slide show of D-Day from Life Magazine.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved to learn and read about D-Day, but it wasn't until I saw the beaches of Normandy did I truly appreciate the sacrifice. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. It's Jessica Palfreyman

    ReplyDelete